Finalizing Projects in the Vertical Stabilizer

Image

 Efforts were concentrated on finishing anything that would eventually get buried behind fabric. In the vertical stabilizer area I had a couple of mis-guided ideas that would later be abandoned. The first was a “Helper Spring” I found described in a Cub Club newsletter and at the time it sounded like a worthy idea.  The spring and cable were designed to attach to the top lug of the elevator bell crank and be adjusted so as to keep the elevator in a neutral position with no stick pressure.  Without the helper spring the elevator would otherwise deflect downward with the stick forward in the cockpit as with most airplanes.  The point of the helper spring was to reduce any tendency for the airplane to nose over while parked on a very windy day.  The bottom line is that I found no good way to terminate the cable to an adjustable turnbuckle in an area that would later be accessible. 

Another misguided effort was to install a VOR antenna in the upper vertical stabilizer.  At the time it seemed logical – it was how we navigated back then.  It was not a lot of work to install the antenna and associated wiring but by the time I was done with the aircraft the use of VOR navigation was quickly being replaced with GPS.  The antenna and part of the wiring remains but for all intents and purposes it is useless to me. 

The last and somewhat amusing story of the vertical stabilizer is the use a long push/pull control for adjusting the trim tab on the left elevator.  The Wag Aero plans actually called for this mechanism which is basically the same as the Vernier control as used for the throttle.  The problem is that this push/pull cable had to be nearly twenty feet long to reach the adjustment arm on the trim tab.  I called a company known to make such a cable and explained how long it needed to be and proudly announced it was for my “Homebuilt Airplane”!  The conversation suddenly shifted to, “WE CAN’T HELP YOU – Thank You Very Much!”  I called the next week and said it was for a bus and it was sent out promptly!  This was not the last time I had to be less than truthful of what I was using a part for. 

Another remaining item I needed to finish was the rudder strobe wiring that went from the power supply under the turtle deck to the bottom of the rudder and up to the strobe.

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Finalizing Projects in the Vertical Stabilizer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s